The Socialism conference is committed to uplifting and centering the voices and organizations of oppressed people. In addition to being a center of political debate and education, a significant aspect of the conference’s value derives from its embodiment of community. We maintain that building a forum and vehicle for left politics depends substantially upon the cultivation of community and trust among those who take part. Socialism 2023 aims to be an inclusive, safe, and welcoming environment for all conference participants. We know that interpersonal harm and harassment are pervasive in our society, and the left is not immune to these behaviors. Our goal is to have a conflict- and crisis-free conference, and we are committed to working to de-escalate and resolve any problems that may arise. This code of conduct outlines the expectations for every participant in Socialism 2023, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
“Participant” in this policy refers to anyone present at Socialism 2023, including panelists, staff, organizers, vendors, and all attendees.
We expect all participants at Socialism 2023 to abide by this code of conduct in all venues at the Socialism conference, including ancillary events, entertainment areas, and official and unofficial social gatherings.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants.
- Alert conference staff if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this code of conduct.
Unacceptable behaviors include, but are not limited to:
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech or actions by any participant at Socialism 2023, at all related events and in one-on-one communications carried out in the context of Socialism 2023.
- The Hyatt Regency McCormick Place venue will be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
- Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, age, appearance, or other personal characteristics
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact
- Physical assault (including unwelcome touch)
- Real or implied threat of physical harm
- Real or implied threat of professional or financial damage or harm
- Retaliation for reporting harassment is a violation of the code of conduct.
Consequences of unacceptable behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any participant at Socialism 2023, including attendees, sponsors, volunteer leaders, vendors, venue staff, and conference staff, will not be tolerated.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, the Socialism 2023 organizing team reserves the right to take any action it deems appropriate. The Socialism 2023 organizing team reserves the right to remove an individual from Socialism 2023 without warning or refund, and to prohibit an individual from attendance at future conferences.
What to do if you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior:
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact Socialism 2023 staff immediately. Staff can be identified by yellow name badges, or contacted by text or phone at the number listed in the conference program. All complaints will be treated seriously and responded to promptly. If your safety is threatened, please contact Hyatt venue security.
If needed or requested, staff will help participants contact venue security, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of Socialism 2023.